How to Recycle a Computer Around Marple Newtown
Get rid of your unwanted computer in a way that's safe for Marple Newtown.
Patch users across the Philadelphia area have shown increasing interest in how to recycle or safely dispose of any number of household items. So we've put together a series of resources for you and your neighbors, including locations in Marple Newtown Patch and nearby. If we miss any item you want to know how to properly dispose of or recycle, please let us know in the comments.
For those looking to safely get rid of an old computer or monitor in the Marple Newtown area, there are a number of recycling options.
Bring It In
The following stores offer varying programs and offers to computer and monitor owners looking to recycle:
- Best Buy: Area Best Buys will accept two computer items per day. Check the following locations for recycling:
- Office Depot: Office Depot accepts computers, laptops and monitors that are not cracked or covered in liquid. Customers must purchase special recycling boxes from the store (between $5 and $15, depending on size) to dispose of items.
- Staples: Staples locations will accept desktops, laptops and monitors for recycling.
Check the Manufacturer
Many computer and electronic manufactures offer take-back and recycling programs to allow consumers to return their products safely.
HP, Compaq and Dell all offer free recycling for their computers and monitors.
Some manufacturers, like Sony and Apple, not only take back old products but may offer a gift card in return, if the item in question has value.
Let the County Handle It
- Montgomery County operates a recycling center in Lower Merion that accepts computers and monitors. The center, which is located at the Robert J. Koegel Public Works Complex in Penn Valley, is open Monday through Friday from 8:00 a.m. to 3:30 p.m. and on Saturday from 9:00 a.m. to 2:30 p.m. Contact the center by calling 610-667-1952 or emailing firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Delaware County holds several electronic recycling events that accept computers and monitors. Check the county's website for the dates.
- Philadelphia County holds several events throughout the year for collecting household hazardous waste, including computers and monitors. Check the schedule here. Residents can also drop their computers off at the Northwest Philadelphia sanitation station on Domion Lane.
Take Care of it Locally
Normal drop-off site for electronic recycling is at the Marple Township Public Works garage, located at 444 Marpit Drive in Broomall. Check with the township as to which appliances and electronic items are accepted. You can call them at 610-356-4040.