The contest is a fundraising initiative for the fire company. Proceeds from the contest will benefit the Newtown Square Fire Company Personal Protective Equipment Fund.
Below are the following rules as listed on the fire company's website:
- ONLY residents and businesses in Newtown Township can register. Registration can take place on the Newtown Square Fire Co. website or you can stop by the Firehouse and complete a registration form (see attached PDF form). The entry fee is $20 per household and $20 per business.
- Residents can only register in one category (Categories 1-4)
- Businesses can register in category 5 only.
- Your ideas must best represent the spirit of the category that you have registered.
- Registration will open on November 12 at 7 p.m. and will close on December 16 at 7 p.m.
- The judging will take place from December 17 through December 19 during the hours of 6 p.m. to 10 p.m.
- The Peoples Choice Award will be selected by the general public. Eligible residents and businesses must be registered for one of the five categories. The contestants addresses will be posted on the Newtown Square Fire Company website. The general public can vote between December 1 and December 19.
- Newtown Square Fire Company members and their families are not eligible to participate in this contest.
- Santa will be delivering the prizes during his tour of the township on-top of the Fire Truck December 21 and December 22.
Residents can register for one of the following categories:
- Nostalgic- most old-fashioned decorated house, best reminds me of my childhood display.
- Religious Theme- best display with a religious theme.
- Clark W. Griswold- excessive use of outdoor lights and decorations.
- Inside Out- best indoor display of decorations and lights that are visible from the outside.
Businesses can register for the following category:
- Best Business Display–All businesses (commercial, schools, churches, restaurants, etc.) in the township can register their best holiday display.
There is no registration for the categories listed below:
- Peoples Choice Awards–only those residents and businesses that have registered for the contest are eligible for this category. Voted on by the general public via the website.
- Best Decorated Street–You need only register for categories 1-5 to be eligible for this category. The more residents and businesses decorated on the street the merrier. This is not a monetary prize category, but merely gives you the right to brag!
According to the fire company, the winners will be notified by Santa himself during his holiday tour around Newtown Township on December 21 and December 22. The winning family could win a picture with Sanata and his firefighter elves, a gift card to a local restaurant, and children can win a ride on the fire truck on a date of the homeowner's choice. A winner's sign will also be provided to be posted on the front lawn of the winning home.
For more information, visit the Newtown Square Fire Co.'s website here.