The Broomall Fire Co. would like to wish everyone a Happy Thanksgiving. As we prepare for our Thanksgiving feasts, please remember safety first.
For those who cook their turkeys in the oven:
- Make sure your ovens are clean.
- An adult needs to remain at home during cooking time–do not throw the turkey in the oven then go out for the day.
- If you get a burn, you should cool the burn with cool water running over the area for at least 15 minutes.
- You should always have a fire extinguisher in the kitchen in case of a small fire, if you use a fire extinguisher you need to call 911 for the Broomall Fire Co. to come check the house for extension of fire and the removal of smoke.
For those of you who want to try the deep-fried turkey:
- Turkey fryers should be used outdoors in a safe distance from buildings and other material that can burn.
- Make sure the fryers are used on a flat surface to reduce accidental tipping.
- Never let children or pets near the fryer when in use. Even after use, never allow them near the turkey fryer. The oil inside can remain dangerously hot, hours after use.
- To avoid oil spillover, do not overfill the fryer.
- Be careful with marinades. Oil and water don’t mix, and water causes oil to spill over, causing fire or even an explosion hazard.
- Keep an all-purpose fire extinguisher nearby. Never use water to extinguish a grease fire.