We are at the doorstep of the Fall season! Soon the leaves will begin to change color, the air will be crisper, and pumpkin flavored foods will be popping up everywhere. I always think of Fall as the quiet before the storm or whirlwind that the holidays will bring. As we prepare for school activities and family parties, it's a good idea to give your home a good look before the cold winter weather kicks in and keeps you from doing some simple home maintenance.
Here are some things you can do right now to put your mind at ease when it comes to your home:
- Prep for closing up your house. Windows will most likely be closed all winter long so to ensure good indoor air quality, clean ducts and change filters. Wash windows inside and out and vacuum screens to improve your view.
- Schedule an appointment to have your chimneys, flues and heating appliances inspected and cleaned.
- Get ready for more indoor cooking and regular meals with a thorough cleaning of your ovens and stove. Don't forget overhead cooking exhaust fans where substantial grease can build up over time, causing a fire hazard.
- Give your refrigerator a deep cleaning and defrost the freezer to make room for those large family meals.
- Get a jump on the holidays by sorting and organizing your seasonal decorations.
- Test all smoke and carbon monoxide detectors and replace batteries as needed.
- Pull your electric (not gas) clothes dryer out from the wall; minimize fire hazard by vacuuming any lint that has collected in back and/or underneath the appliance. Disassemble the dryer's venting tubes and clean those out as well.
- Shampoo or steam clean carpets and furniture upholstery now that daily foot traffic and use will be diminishing.
- Prepare your kitchen to be well stocked for healthy, home cooked meals by purging older unused and out-of-date items from kitchen cabinets and weeding/organizing your supply of food-storage containers.
And always remember, if you or someone you know has questions about the real estate market, call me! Your neighborhood Realtor®.
Weichert, Realtors - Media
606 E. Baltimore Pike, Media, PA 19063