NEWTOWN SQUARE–Philadelphia Magazine recently ranked Marple Newtown High School 50 out of 100 public schools in the Philadelphia area.
Here's a breakdown of numbers for Marple Newtown:
- $10,461 – Average instructional spending
- 1,140 – Total enrollment for 9th through 12th grades
- 83% – Percentage of graduates attending a 2- or 4-year college
- 81% – Percentage of students graded proficient or above in the state standardized PSSA in reading.
- 70 – Percentage of students graded proficient or above in the state standardized PSSA in math.
- 14:1 – Average number of students per faculty member in school (some figures are district-wide).
The rankings were based on the following categories:
- 9th-grade (10th where applicable) through 12th-grade enrollment;
- Percentage of students who graduate;
- Percentage of graduates going to a two- or four-year college;
- Average SAT scores for the past three years;
- Percentage of 11th-grade students ranked proficient or above in state assessment tests (in Pennsylvania, the PSSA; in New Jersey, the HSPA) for the past three years;
- Student/faculty ratio;
- Instructional cost and total cost per student;
- Number of designated Advanced Placement courses offered;
- Number of varsity sports teams (boys’ and girls’ teams in the same sport were counted separately); and
- Number of clubs and activities offered.