As the holiday season approaches and many of us are with loved ones reflecting on our blessings this year, there's no better way to give back than lending a helping hand in our community.
and communities have a handful of opportunities and ways where you can give back throughout the year.
Here's our list of the top 10 places to give back this holiday season:
- Fire Departments–The , entirely made up of volunteers, and the , largely made up of volunteers, could always use committed residents in the community to help save neighbors from fires and medical emergencies.
- Local Food Bank– in Broomall is the headquarters for the Delaware County Interfaith Food Assistance Network and has been . This local food bank serves the community throughout the year and could use a helping hand months before and after the holidays.
- Libraries–Both the and could use lending hands, physically, by shelving books and helping out with their programs and activities.
- Senior Citizens Center–The Marple Newtown Senior Citizens Activity Center meets at St. Mark's United Methodist Church in Broomall, where various activities from card playing to day trips are planned throughout the year. Volunteers can assist the seniors in these fun activities. Contact Fay Morgan for more information at 610-356-8773.
- PTOs–Each school in the –from elementary schools to the high school–have Parent Teacher Organizations that are in in their schools for fundraisers, programs and activities for their children.
- Blood Donations–While blood donations typically drop off during the holidays, the need for blood and blood products by hospital patients across our region remains constant, said the American Red Cross of Southeastern PA. Two upcoming blood drives are happening: Nov. 19 at the from 8 a.m. to 1 p.m. and on Dec. 14 at at 3:30 p.m.
- Historical Societies–The Marple Historical Society and Newtown Square Historical Society are affiliated with historic buildings and museums in town, including the in Broomall and the in Newtown Square that could use help in maintaining the sites as well as conducting tours and programs.
- Animal Rescue Shelters/Adoption Agencies–From the Delaware County SPCA to local pet adoption agencies in town, animal-loving volunteers would be a great asset to these organizations, including the in Newtown Square, P.A.L.S in Broomall organization, Luv-n-Bunns Rabbit rescue in Broomall.
- Driver-Escorts– in Broomall, is looking for volunteer driver escorts, who help senior neighbors who can no longer drive. As a driver escort, you would use your own car to take seniors to and from medical appointments, Surrey-sponsored activities or grocery store trips.
- Thrift Shops–Many local thrift shops could use an extra hand in organizing and selling used items for those in need or for those looking for a bargain. Check out Surrey Services for Seniors Thrift Shop, in Broomall, or the Thrift Shop of in Newtown Square.