Monday, April 1, 2013
No one was injured in a Broomall house fire early Monday morning, fire officials say.
Fire officials were dispatch to a house fire at 2 Oak Circle in Broomall at about 2:49 a.m. on April 1. No one was injured, according to Broomall Fire Co. Public Information Officer Tony Cavarocchi. A husband and wife were sleeping in a second-floor bedroom, of the single family home, and were awakened by a smoke detector, Cavarocchi said. "Smoke detectors help save lives," Cavarocchi said. "This is what saved their lives." The damage to the interior of the house was extensive and it was believed to have started in an undetermined area of the kitchen, Cavarocchi said. The fire appears to be accidental and the scene was cleared by about 4:30 a.m., Cavarocchi said. Along with Broomall Fire Co., Manoa, Springfield, Drexel Hill, Marple …
Tuesday, February 19, 2013
Crews were called to the Newtown Square fire Sunday night.
Sunday, February 17, 2013
Crews were called to the Newtown Square fire Sunday night.
Updated 2/18/9am: Newtown Square Fire Co.'s Public Information Officer James Biddle states that officials are investigating the fire which may have ignited from an unattended wood-burning stove. According to Biddle, fire crews were dispatched at 8:38 p.m. on Sunday night for an initial report of a brush and woods fire. However, when firefighters arrived to the scene, the fire was described as a large barn on fire. Biddle noted that the 20-degree weather made it especially hard to fight the structure fire on Sunday night. The following fire crews responded to the scene: Edgmont, Newtown Square, Broomall, Malvern, Paoli, East Whiteland, and Goshen’s Hershey Mill stations. Updated 2/18/13 8:30am: NBC Philadelphia reports: Update 2/18/13 6am: …
Saturday, January 5, 2013
The theatre is expected to open by Monday, Jan. 7.
SPRINGFIELD–Update, Jan. 6, 1 p.m.: Broomall, Rose Tree, Springfield, Brookline, Bon Air, and Swarthmore fire departments responded to a first-alarm fire at the AMC Marple 10 movie theatre at 9:20 a.m. on Friday, Jan. 4. According to Broomall Fire Public Information Officer Tony Cavarocchi, the fire was in the deep fryer machine used to cooking french fries. The fire was contained to the unit, said Cavarocchi. "Firefighters extinguished the fire, checked for extension and removed the deep fry machine from the building," said Cavarocchi through an email on Sunday. "The fire caused the lobby and one theater to fill with smoke. Firefighters used power fans to remove the smoke." According to Cavarocchi, there was no damage to the building …
Tuesday, December 11, 2012
No injuries were reported and a small fire was contained within the coffee roaster at Burlap and Bean in Newtown Square.
NEWTOWN SQUARE–A fire was reported at Burlap and Bean coffee shop, located at 204 South Newtown Street Road, just a little after noon on Tuesday. The coffee shop's coffee reoaster had reportedly caught on fire. According to Burlap and Bean owners Ben and Brent Endicott, the fire was contained within the coffee roaster. Ben, who was at the coffee shop during the time of the incident, told Marple Newtown Patch that the fire had appeared to be in the 'elbow' of the roaster. "It was glowing orange," recalled Ben about the small fire. "The 'elbow' is designed to contain that." As a precaution, Ben had staff and approximately 10 customers evacuated. "We absolutely evacuated. Our number one concern is for everyone's safety." According to Ben, he…
Friday, October 5, 2012
As many as 40 housing units and 100 residents have been affected by the fire, the Red Cross says.
Saturday, August 25, 2012
No one was injured in a commercial building fire on the 300 block of Reed Road Saturday night.
BROOMALL–A commercial building on the 300 block of Reed Road in Broomall caught fire Saturday night, according to Broomall Fire Chief Carl Drake. The one-alarm fire broke out at Elegante Limousine Service on 388 Reed Road around 9:19 p.m. Saturday and was under control at about 10 p.m., Drake said. No one was injured. Drake said there were multiple small fires inside the building and it was ruled suspicious and is under investigation. There were at least five vehicles inside the mixed-use buildings, he said. The building and vehicles sustained smoke and water damage but were not completely destroyed, Drake said. Broomall, Newtown Square, Rose Tree, Springfield, Manoa and Brookline fire companies responded to the scene along with Marple …
Tuesday, July 24, 2012
One firefighter was injured at a fire that occurred at approximately 11:30 p.m. on July 23 at 125 Mulberry Lane in Newtown Square.
NEWTOWN SQUARE–At approximately 11:30 p.m. on Monday night, the Newtown Square Fire Co. responded to a house fire at 125 Mulberry Lane in the Valley View Acres section of Newtown Township. According to Nathan Glazer, a member of the Newtown Square Fire Co., the fire caused major damage to property. One firefighter was injured at the scene, said Glazer in an email. In addition to Newtown Square Fire Co., Broomall, Rose Tree, Media, Manoa, Edgmont, Radnor, Berwyn, and Gladwyne fire companies all responded to the fire. According to Glazer, fire companies from Malvern and Goshen provided standby coverage at Newtown Square's fire station and assisted with restoration of equipment. EMS units on scene included Marple Ambulance, Newtown Township, …
Wednesday, March 14, 2012
A small fire occurred around 1 p.m. on Wednesday, March 14, in the back lot of the Dollar Tree store in Broomall.
BROOMALL–At around 1 p.m., a small fire sparked in the back of the trash area behind the Dollar Tree store in Broomall. The back trash area is shared by Kaplan education center–formerly known as CHI Institute, Main Line Health Broomall, and Nana's Attic. According to an employee from Kaplan, who had witnessed the fire, the fire was described as a "small fire" with "barely any smoke." The employee shared the fire was observed to have been contained around the stack of cardboard boxes that were put out by the Dollar Tree for recycling. According to the employee, the fire had destroyed two of the school's HVAC units. The employee stated that no evacuation was necessary for any of the buildings and observed no injuries at the time of the fire…
Thursday, February 10, 2011
An attic fire on Sproul Road brought about seven fire trucks and fire fire companies to the home.
BROOMALL–Approximately 30 firefighters responded to 251 North Sproul Road for an attic fire at around 6:15 p.m. Thursday night. According to Broomall Fire Company Chief Carl Drake, the fire started in the attic of the home and later reached over to the roof of the home's garage, just beside the attic windows where the fire occured. "When we arrived, the fire was coming out of the attic windows," said Drake. "The fire did spread over to the garage roof but I wouldn't really say it spread." According to Drake, a bedroom was located above the garage in which the fire was contained. The home's roof opened up for the fire, which was estimated to have lasted approximately 30 minutes. Residents were present when the fire occurred but no injuries …